My power went out! How can I stay warm?

When the power goes out, so does your heat in most cases. Unless you have a wood burning stove, chances are you’re going to be in the dark and shivering if the power goes out for a bit of time. Is there anything you can do to keep heat in when the power goes out?

Keep Doors and Windows Shut

One big thing that’s going to keep warmth from disappearing from your home is making sure that all windows and doors are shut. It sounds silly, but if you have a window fan in, you may want to take it out and close your window to conserve heat. You also want to avoid going outside too many times and leaking your heat out as well. That means try to keep from coming and going out of your home a lot.

Draw the Shades

Close your curtains at night to help keep cool air from getting in and warm air from leaving. Anything between you and the windows will be helpful. Keep in mind that opening the curtains during the day (at least the sunlight facing ones) can help bring warmth into your home, so make sure that you’re not wasting sunlight by blocking it out during the day.

Close your Vents

If you have forced hot air, make sure you close up your vents when the power goes out. This keeps cool air from floating through the house.

Block up Under Doors

Roll up a towel and place it firmly against the bottom of your doors to keep cool air from coming in through drafty areas of your home. If you know that it’s drafty, you may even have a sandbag door draft stopper. Make sure you pull those out and plug up those drafts.

Bundle Up

Pull out the sweaters, coats, and blankets. You’re going to want to pile them on to yourself and your pets when the power goes out. If you have reptiles that depend on a heat lamp, you’re going to want to place towels over their enclosures. You may also want to pick up some hand warmers for them to keep them warm until the power comes back on.

DON’T run a gasoline heater inside!

Gasoline heaters, BBQ grills, and other fire burning items require a lot of ventilation because they produce carbon monoxide which is an odorless gas that can actually kill you. If you’re going for heat inside, opt for a kerosene heater, but be cautious and always be home whenever you’re running one to monitor it. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand as well. Kerosene heaters can produce carbon monoxide too, so make sure you have a window cracked near a kerosene heater and follow all manufacturer instructions for usage. Keep a battery operated carbon monoxide detector nearby just to be safe.

We hope these tips help you stay warm when the electricity goes out! If you need HVAC help, don’t hesitate to contact us.


Need help with your home air or HVAC system?

We can help! Contact us today!

Contact Us!